Energy & Hot Climates of the Green Solutions Awards 2017: Groupe Scolaire de Bois d'Olives (France)
This school of 12 classes on the Reunion island (Indian Ocean) demonstrates the specificity of sustainability approaches under tropical and subtropical climates. This approach uses the PERENE calculation tool. The building proposes a bioclimatic architecture to structure the layout of the volumes and the technical choices of the project. Among the fundamental choices made to obtain a bioclimatic building and an efficient energy management are:
- Protection against dominant winds on the East and South-East sector and the protection of the courtyards,
- A broad sole umbrella roof to reinforce the solar and weather protection,
- Extended covers of the courtyards (greater than required in the programme) for a greater comfort for users,
- A thought through solar protection and specific for each glass bay orientation,
- The choice of a “dry” wooden architecture, a relevant answer when it comes to hygrothermal comfort,
- General layout of spaces to optimize the through-andthrough ventilation,
- The management of infiltrated rain waters,
- Neat gardens, to add to the hygrothermal and visual comforts, and to filter dusts,
- Optimization of electric systems to obtain positive energy building.
Solar protections bath spaces in a pleasant light while providing true hygrothermal comfort to the whole school.
- Contractor: City of Saint-Pierre
- Designer: Antoine Perrau Architectures
- Consultancy agencies: Leu Réunion, GECP, BET AIR, CREATEUR