Energy & Temperate Climates of the Green Solutions Awards 2017: Kirstein & Sauer (Germany)
This positive energy building shelters a supermarket at the ground level and offices on the upper floors. The contractor wanted this project to be exemplary. This was achieved through the combination of mature technologies for a very high level of energy efficiency at a low cost, while providing high resilience and reliability. The thorough energy planning of the building was also key to this project as it integrated all needs of the building, from the systems to the users. Among the solutions implemented in this project, some are worth pointing out:
- An ultra efficient envelope, designed very early in the project,
- A urban heating network fueled by the combustion of waste,
- Low temperature heating floors,
- Ventilation/Cooling systems with adiabatic evaporation,
- Photovoltaic panels on the roof to cover every energy needs,
- The fine tuned building management through a BMS.
Here, the energy performance of the building is not achieved against the user. On the contrary, office spaces were designed to be modular and to adapt to the needs of the tenants. The BMS uses usage and occupation scenari along with sensors to regulate ventilation and heating.
- Contractor: Kirstein & Sauer GmbH
- Designers: Architekten Wannenmacher + Möller GmbH
- Consultancy agency: Solares Bauen GmbH
Browse the case study linked to this video.