- Building Type : Office building < 28m
- Construction Year : 2016
- Delivery year : 2016
- Address 1 - street : 21183 DUBAI, United Arab Emirates
- Climate zone : [BWh] Subtropical dry arid
- Net Floor Area : 411 m2
- Construction/refurbishment cost : 1 000 000 €
- Cost/m2 : 2433.09 €/m2
Primary energy need :
(Calculation method : Other )
The design choice to use a prefab European timber platform frame technology made it possible to realize it in less than 100 days.3 different cooling systems have been installed for research purposes: supply air cooling or dehumidifying, recirculated air cooling and floor cooling (avoided in UAE, as current technology is unable to deal with condensation phenomena), with the possibility to couple them to get the best results in terms of efficiency and comfort
See more details about this projecthttp://www.passivhausprojekte.de/index.php?lang=en#d_5065
3rd part certified
DesignerCasetta & Partners The architectural design, the thermal envelope design and the airtightness design, the bioclimatic analysis, the MEP design and the PHPP calculation systems, as well as the "project management" and the site and work supervision has been carried out by the
Thermal consultancy agencyUniversity of Bergamo The department of "Turbomachinery and Energy Systems" of the University of Bergamo with the lead of prof. Ing. Antonio Perdichizzi and ing. Giuseppe Franchini led transient analysis in dynamic state, on which basis the MEP systems in the building were siz
Owner approach of sustainability
Yousuf Al Shaibani, MBRSC Director General:
"MBRSC has introduced an integrated model of an essential component in smart cities and one of future accelerators”
“This house is an initiative aimed at effectuating the use of green and smart techniques to implement the UAE’s strategy for green development and Dubai Clean Energy Strategy”
“The Sustainable Autonomous House transforms the housing sector from energy consumer to energy source”.
"Besides being the first "Passive House" not only in Dubai but across the Arab region, there are other aspects that make this building “one of a kind”:
- the fact of being an office building. This made it even more difficult to meet the requirements of the Passivhaus due to high internal gains compared to a dwelling;
- the building is made of a prefabricated timber frame system ( "platform frame") - all "Made in Italy". It is therefore a light weighted "construction" type;
- a key requirement of the agreement was to realize the building in less than 100 days. Actually, the building was completed in less than 90 days. The works were completed in late August 2016, the hottest month, in order to carry out immediately the test and commissioning "in extreme weather conditions";
- the building is "off-grid", which means that the PV system and the storage batteries are capable of powering completely all the building’s requirements;
- the building is a pilot project*. A capillary system of sensors enables 24/7 monitoring of all construction and MEP components in order to study the “real-life” behavior of the building;
- three different cooling systems have been installed for research purposes: supply air cooling or dehumidifying, recirculated air cooling and floor cooling (this one avoided in UAE, as current technology is unable to deal with condensation phenomena), with the possibility to couple them to get the best results in terms of efficiency and comfort."
Casetta & Partners - Ing. Giancarlo Casetta - Arch. Mauro Bonotto
* This building has a high construction cost when compared to Dubai's market standard, because it is intended as a pilot and research project. Several products, such as different types of cooling units, were imported from Europe to see how they would perform in a Passive House in Dubai.
- 143,00 kWhpe/m2.year
- 300,00 kWhpe/m2.year
- 0,10 W.m-2.K-1
- No heating system
- Heat pump
- Reversible heat pump
- Fan coil
- Floor cooling
- Double flow heat exchanger
- Solar photovoltaic
- 100,00 %
Passive House Planning Package (PHPP)
Passive House Institute
The Passive House planning package is an energy balancing tool made up of a series of excel spreadsheets. It is based on International Norms and can be used for all buildings worldwide.
The Passive House Institute is developing the PHPP according to systematic evaluation and comparison with monitoring data and validated building simulation programs such as DYNBIL. Moreover, all the practical experience from building projects is continuously being integrated in the package.
The reliability of the calculation results and ease of use of this planning tool has already been experienced by several thousand users.
To plan this project, the software PHPP and TRNSYS have been used.
This pilot project has been built on a spare plot owned by the customer MBRSC, a governmental research body. Around the building, during the construction phase, greenery has been setup to enhance the "value" of the building itself.
The position itself suffers from weak urban connections (no metropolitan, buses, ecc...), primary because it is already in the "suburbs" of the city. As far as facilities are concerned, the building is close to "Mushrif Park", which is a 1300 acre family-oriented park in Dubai. It is located in the eastern part of the city (near the suburb of Khawaneej), about 16 km (10 mi) from the traditional center of Dubai. The park was created in early 1980 by Dubai Municipality and was hugely expanded and refurbished in 1989.
Moreover, the building is close to the "Al Khawaneej" Walking and Cycling Track. Mainly, it is located in a zone with farm houses.
Land plot area
1 500,00 m2
The remaining area is used as a parking space (40 parking places).
- Self-sufficient and completely independent of the electricity grid
- Interior temperature ranges from between 22°C and 25°C in all seasons and times
- Energy consumption reduced by 80% compared to existing buildings (700kWhpe/m²a) and 50% compared to Dubai Greenbuilding Regulations (280-300kWh/m²a) thanks to Passive House strategies, smart technical and engineering solutions
- Prefabricated timber frame structure (eco-friendly processed wood)
- Constructed in less than 100 days
- Smart management and control system which interacts with the changes of the external heat and humidity
- Ongoing research (how to transform high humidity to a water source cost effectively, link the project with Dubai’s electricity grid)
Energy & Hot Climates
Health & Comfort
Other case studies
- anass AMAZIRH
- Ibtissam GHAZZAR