Piamonte, HQE certified social housing operation in Colombia
In the initial planning stages of Reserva de Madrid, a Low-Income Housing (LIH) Master Plan located in the outskirts of Bogota, Colombia, we in Prodesa came upon a big task. How to develop, on a very limited budget, the best possible green project (LIH in Colombia has to be priced under US$35,000 per unit, to gain government subsidies). As a founding member of the Colombia Green Building Council, Prodesa has been very active in applying green building principles since 2008. Our projects included many sustainable attributes. But do to the cost of some of the requirements and of the certification process, the projects were not certified. Colombia is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world, privileged by the richness of its ecosystems. We feel a special commitment to preserve this biodiversity by building sustainable projects.
Identity card of the project
- 15% savings in electricity consumption (36 KW/m2) per year
- 15% savings in water consumption (85 l/day) per person
- efficient natural ventilation
- 54% of the 25 hectares are green areas
- autonomous solar lighting system in common areas
- low VOC and non-carcinogenic materials
- improved waste management
- better acoustic comfort in apartments and amenities
- faster sales
- an increase of 0.6% in direct cost, due to the certification process
Piamonte is the first certified housing project in Colombia and the first certified Low-Income Housing project in Latin America.
- Make sustainability and user well-being your top priority. Always take into consideration what is best for the user well-being in the long run.
- Involve High Management in the process. To make the hard decisions regarding the designs, materials to be used and specially the project proforma, it is important that the company´s directors are convinced of the benefits of having a green project.
- Involve all Key Stakeholders Early. It expedites the process and prevents having additional costs and delays due to reworks.
- Proof your Business Case (Costs vs. Benefits). It’s very nice to have a green project, but if it does not make an economic, this will not be sustainable in time.
- “the environmental profile has attained the Excellent level, making the project even more remarkable”
- “the landscape project goes far beyond the scheme’s requirement … focusing on life quality conditions for the inhabitants and users, while taking in account environmental aspects like water consumption and biodiversity enhancement.”
- “the worksite management was outstanding, … going beyond in several aspects, for instance waste recovery, which has reached 81% of the total waste…”
- Prodesaenterprise https://prodesa.net/lenterprise/
- The project onbeHQE.com https://www.behqe.com/CONJUNTORESIDENCIALPiamonteReservadeMadri
- The Colombia Green Building Council http://www.worldgbc.org/member-directory/colombia-green-building-council
Other news in "Information"
#GreenSolutions Awards 2018: Discover these winners whose solutions already shape the zero carbon city
The Green Solutions Awards 2018 winners were revealed in Katowice, a Polish mining town that made the shift to commit to the energy transition and COP24 theatre. The Construction21 network, organiser of the contest, rewarded the winni (...)
The project consists in a twin block, 12 stores building, facing a new connection avenue in Belo Horizonte, capital of the State of Minas Gerais, in Southwest Brazil. The built area is 51307 square meters, comprising 40 magazines and (...)
This is it, all Construction21 chapters, who run the contest in their country, revealed their national champions! Each one of them won in their country in their respective category and therefore are now qualified to enter the internat (...)